Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Lidsville

For all my whining about the lack of crochet in Son of Stitch 'n Bitch, I'm certainly getting my money's worth from what is there. I've started Lidsville, the cute golf-style cap, as a Christmas present for my dad. Hi Dad! I can spoil the surprise because you never get on the internet and if you did, you'd google rifles and fishing lures instead of crochet. I don't know how to crochet a fishing lure yet, so you're getting a hat this year. Merry Christmas.

So anyway, Lidsville. I have to say, it kinda cracks me up when I look at the book's picture of Cute Hipster Boy wearing this and I try to imagine how it'll look on fiftysomething redneck Dad. I have deviated from the suggested yarn, Tahki Donegal Tweed, largely because I was in a hurry to get started. I'm using Rowan Scottish Tweed DK in Indigo -- I think the Celtic Mix would have looked better, myself, but my dad hates the color green (which is hilarious because he's a Celtics fan). The Scottish Tweed is growing on me. I generally like my yarn softer, but it's very handsome, and I remembered I have some discontinued navy Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk DK that I can do the inner band in for a bit more comfort.

I'm nearly done with crocheting the pieces, but it's the construction that has me nervous. I'm a crocheter, not a seamstress. I think sewing would be an excellent and incredibly useful thing to know how to do, but I crochet to relax, and struggling to keep seams straight doesn't sound relaxing to me. The construction's more involved than what I'm used to. If it goes well, I'll post pictures of the hat. If it doesn't, I'll post pictures of the mangled yarn and lots of cursing.

No comments: